Friday, 23 August 2013

Battle of Bosworth Anniversary

OK, a day late.... a recent medical appointment left me with no time even to do a short write up covering the Anniversary of the Battle of Bosworth, which was of course fought on August 22nd 1485 (not the 23rd!).

Bosworth marked a turning point in English history in many ways, the last great cavalry charge on English soil, the death of the last Plantagenet King, the beginnings of the Tudor dynasty not to mention the political ramifications that rippled around Europe, most notably in the Burgundian and French kings court.

So, it would seem that it's the perfect time (OK, maybe yesterday would have been better!) to announce that the Lance and Longbow Society will be putting on a Bosworth re-fight at Salute based on the latest information about the archaeological evidence. I know that this book, among others, Bosworth 1485, A Battlefield Rediscovered, Glenn Ford, Anne Curry will play it's part in the overall design of the game and also effect some of the troop types. I will say no more.


I'll be reviewing a few of the books written about Bosworth as we go along and of course you will be able to see all three of the armies develop in 28mm as I go along.

Here's to history!
Darrell.








12 comments:

  1. Hello Darrell,

    I am very keen to see what you have in store! I have been researching the battle myself. Unfortunately my own painting of figures for said battle has dropped to a snails pace. It's a battle I have wanted to see at Salute for quite a while. I'll be sure to catch up when I attend next year.

    I am looking forward to it!

    Cheers,

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that we can have some sort of board that goes with the game that has the original positions shown with a transparent piece over the top showing the positions from the latest research.

      Darrell.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing the armies develop.

    The forthcoming book edited by Anne Curry looks interesting as well.

    I took part in the Bosworth re enactment last weekend as a Yorkist, it was a great event. Interestingly I saw a man in full harness come crashing off a cantering horse only to get up and start fighting straight on foot, of course disproving the old myths about armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it always makes me laugh out loud when I watch Olivier's version of Henry V and the French Knights being pulled upon their steeds by a crane! :O)

      I'll review the book as soon as i have read it Oli, though I'm ploughing my way through a lot of literature at present.

      Darrell.

      Delete
  3. Have started reading first chapters and it does not disappoint - very well founded on sources, as you'd expect.
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite excited about this book. With ford and Curry at the helm it's no surprise that the information is well sourced.

      Still ploughing my way through a host of other literature at the mo and leaving the Ford/Curry book 'til last.

      Darrell.



      Delete
  4. Definitely worth reading, makes numerous interesting points including details of all(?) the new finds from the area.

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I'll be reading it ASAP. Can't wait really so I may find myself dipping into it very soon.

      Darrell.

      Delete
  5. Hi Darrell, Can't wait to see what you and the guys come up with, if its anything like the last two it should be good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing all the painting... we don't yet have anyone who's come forward to do the terrain so i might end up doing that too :O)

      Darrell.

      Delete
  6. Hi Darrell,

    Looking forward to seeing your progress :-)

    Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also looking forward to seeing this at Salute! Cheers, Simon

    ReplyDelete