Thursday, 22 August 2019

A Quick Note on Painting Horses


Four horses that were finished about four years ago where the Battle of Fornovo project left off. They are from the Perry Miniatures Stradiot Command pack and lack their undercoated but unpainted human companions. Basically they are speed painted as there is going to be a lot of cavalry in both armies and it just is not practical for me to meticulously paint every horse or I would have no chance of getting the game ready for Partizan in April. I'm looking at a ratio of about 75% of the horses to be speed painted with the remaining 25% painted up to a high standard. The higher end stuff will be reserved for character models, vignettes and the most eye catching units on the tabletop. 

As an aside, I'm going to be layering the foot and horse riders as normal but with the premise that I will not add more then three layers as I'm prone to painting in a very subtle manner with up to seven or eight layers which I will again be reserving for character models, vignettes ans special units.

Apologies for the lighting in the pictures, I haven't got my photographic space set up yet.


Close ups:
I should have dusted them down first!





More Mounts on the Way:
There will be another three in this unit so I have just three more horses to clean up and undercoat in this unit. I plan on doing at least two units of traditional Stradiots and one, maybe two units of Westernised Stradiots. That's anything from 40- 46 horses! Thus the speed painting!!




Westernised Stradiot Horseflesh:
I still have to complete the harness on the mounts below. These plastic Late Medieval Perry mounts were painted very recently; I had actually forgotten that I had originally planned to speed paint most of the mounts!! As soon as the harness is painted I'm going to do four speed painted examples at some point and compare them next to one another to see how the Perry plastic horses hold up when speed painting. I'll explain all of this at another point as i plan on doing a Speed Painting Mounts article that some of you may find to be of use.



Barded Horses!

I should begin by saying that I love the barding and champrons on the plastic Late Medieval Perry Miniatures horses but I am certainly in need of variation in my units. I'm planning on using a number of Venexia Barded steeds and Crusader Miniatures Wars of the Roses range after some major surgery to the saddles as most of the miniatures i plan on using have the saddles sculpted onto the mini's and I think consistency to be quite important in terms of presentation.

Venexia:


Crusader, Wars of the Roses:


Kind Regards

2 comments:

  1. Excellent mate, also have a look at the Eureka Gendarmes

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Matt, I'm kind of stuck between the Steel Fist models and the Eureka models. Though we both know (with certainty!) that I will be buying both lol :>)

      Delete